This article about the Best Toddler Bed Rails for Travel was written by toddler travel expert Celine Brewer and may contain affiliate links.
If your toddler no longer sleeps in a crib at home, you may have some struggles getting your toddler to sleep in a travel crib while on the road. I experienced this first hand with my own toddler. Once he moved to a bed at home, I wanted to keep his sleeping environment similar to help my toddler sleep on vacation. The two solutions I came up with for this challenge was to pack a toddler travel bed or purchase travel bed rails for my toddler to sleep in any bed.
My toddler frequently fell out of bed, if there were no travel bed bumpers to keep him safely in his bed. As the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends, guardrails should be used to help prevent toddlers from falling out of bed.
Portable bed rails for toddlers are an excellent lightweight option for travel to keep your toddler in his bed all night long.
My Top Pick for the Best Portable Bed Rails for Toddlers:
I know you don’t always have time to read the full post, so let’s skip to the good part then you can keep scrolling to learn more!
hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rails – are my top choice for travel bed rails for toddlers. Rather than depending on a non-slip strip, these toddler travel bed rails have a flap that extends under where your toddler is sleeping, reducing the chance of a bed rail being pushed off the bed.
While there’s a always a chance of a portable bed rail developing a hole over time or deflating overnight, this is a risk with all inflatable travel products.
What You’ll Find in this Article on the Best Toddler Bed Rails for Travel:
The Five Best Best Travel Bed Rails for Toddlers
Investing in inflatable bed rails for your toddler’s bed is a small, but important thing you can do improve your child’s safety. This will ensure that both you and your child sleep easier at night. Thankfully these travel bumpers for toddlers pack small and won’t be a pain to carry around!
That’s mainly what makes inflatable bed rails for toddlers one of the most practical toddler travel essentials.
Here’s a list of the 5 best portable toddler bed rails that I think you should consider before your next family vacation with your toddler:
1. hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail for Toddlers
The hiccapop Inflatable bed rails are highly rated and are our top pick for travel with toddlers.
At 52 inches long, 4.5 inches tall and 7 inches wide, these travel toddler bed rails slide under fitted sheets easily, and makes installation a breeze.
Unlike most other inflatable bed bumpers that use only non-skid grip strips to keep them in place, the hiccapop inflatable bed rails feature silicon-bottom safety flap extensions that use your child’s weight to keep them anchored in place! This robust non-slip design allows for the most restful and safe sleep for even the most active sleepers.
The hiccapop inflatable bed rails for toddlers are made of safe, non-toxic materials, and are ASTM certified making them suitable for children of all ages.
Apart from being inherently water-resistant due to their durable materials, these portable bed rails for hotels also come with machine washable covers that make worrying about stains and spills a thing of the past.
A push-button quickly deflates the hiccapop inflatable bed rails making them easy to pack away in the included travel bag and toss in your suitcase. They are also made to fit all sizes of beds.
- Has a non-slip flap instead of just a strip.
- Extremely portable when deflated.
- Nylon cover can be removed and washed.
- Comes with hiccapop’s Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee.
- Includes a travel bag.
- Like most inflatable products, there’s a risk of a travel bed rail deflating or developing a hole.
- May require deep pocket fitted sheets depending on the thickness of your mattress.
2. The Shrunks Inflatable Bed Rails for Toddlers
Made for traveling families, the Shrunks inflatable bed bumpers feature a unique inflatable technology that allows parents to inflate and deflate them whenever they need within 30 seconds.
These inflatable bed rails measure about 48 inches in length, 7 inches in width and 4 inches in height, making them compatible with beds all sizes. Responsibly made from materials that are free of BPA, phthalate and lead, The Shrunks bed rails are also extremely durable and safe.
With a travel toddler bed rail system, there is no need to worry about your child getting hurt. Once inflated, all you need to do is place the inflatable bed rail under your little one’s fitted sheet and let it do its job. Each Shrunks portable bed rail has a yellow strip to make sure it doesn’t move, and stays put under the sheets all night long.
Shrunks inflatable bed rails are another great option for making beds toddler-proof when traveling.
- Similar to the hiccapop inflatable bed rails, these deflate and can be packed small into the included travel bag.
- No need to worry about messes, since the Shrunks inflatable rails can be wiped clean.
- Like other inflatable products, these can develop holes in the sealed seam.
- Only have a non-slip grip on the bottom.
- Unlike previous versions, these do not come with a pump but are easy enough to inflate by mouth.
3. DreamyPanda Portable Bed Bumpers for Toddlers
The DreamyPanda portable bed bumpers are different than the other inflatable bed rails because they are made with memory foam and skin-friendly vegan bamboo cotton. What you’ll lose in compactness, you’ll gain in not having to worry about deflating or any holes.
While not waterproof, these portable bed bumpers do come with a removable cover that makes it very easy to keep them clean. Snuggly, lightweight and portable, these luxurious travel bed bumpers for toddlers are quick to install and put away in the included handy travel bag.
The DreamyPanda portable bed bumpers are also available in a range of sizes making them perfect for use with kids of all ages, and even adults. It is the perfect solution for sleeping when you travel.
- No need to worry about leaks, the DreamyPanda bed bumpers for toddlers are made of high-density foam.
- Included is a washable cover for easy cleaning.
- These are 4.5 inches high, making them comparable to the leading inflatable bed rails.
- Since these are foam, they won’t pack nearly as small as the inflatable toddler bed rails. This can be a significant amount of room if you require two.
- No grips on the bottom, so they can slip.
- These are the most expensive on the list, especially if you need to buy two.
4. Delta Children Inflatable Bed Rails for Toddlers
If you’re looking for a travel bed rail that stays inflated throughout the night and provides security against falling or slipping while looking discreet and clean, then look no further than the inflatable toddler bed rails from Delta Children. They come with everything you need, including a foot pump that makes it easy to inflate and deflate them quickly.
With secure seals that prevent air from leaking and a non-slip bottom that keeps it in place all night, these Delta Children inflatable bed rails ensure worry-free nights when on-the-go with little ones.
At 48 inches long, 7 inches wide and 5 inches tall, whether your child is sleeping in a twin bed, a queen-sized, or a king bed, you can rest assured knowing they are safe and sound when using these portable bed rails.
Lightweight and portable, these travel bed rails are guaranteed to become your go-to during sleep time with your kids, whether at a hotel room or at a sleepover. Just fold it, roll it up, throw it into your carry-on or backpack diaper bag, and you’ll be ready to go!
- Inflatable design makes them easy to store and travel with.
- Comes with a pump to make inflating even easier.
- Lower price than the alternative travel bed bumpers.
- Also has non-slip bottom and has a waterproof cover.
- One inch taller at 5 inches than other leading travel bed rail for toddler brands.
- The pump takes up extra room, but you can always inflate by mouth.
- Can develop holes over time or slowly deflate.
5. Sunnyglade Portable Bed Rails for Toddlers
The Sunnyglade portable bed rails are thoughtfully designed inflatable bed bumpers that feature airtight construction that easily supports up to 220 pounds without a leak. This means you will find each bed rail to be just as inflated when you wake up in the morning as they were when you put your kids to bed the night before.
Each Sunnyglade travel bed rail is 48 inches tall, 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall, making them easy to slip under sheets and fit any bed size. The 100% water-resistant bed rails also remain unaffected by spills and nighttime accidents, and even come with a compact carry case that make them even more convenient for travel.
- Both taller at 5 inches and wider at 8 inches (vs 4” and 7” respectively) compared to other highly rated toddler bed rails for travel.
- Comes with a travel bag and foot pump.
- They can slip under the sheets
- Like most inflatable products, then can develop slow leaks over time.
- The extra inch wide may take up more room than desired if sharing hotel beds!
When to Pack Portable Bed Rails for Toddlers
If you are traveling with a toddler who is an active sleeper, then having inflatable travel bed rails will help keep your toddler on the bed! Especially if you’ve recently moved your toddler to a big kid bed from their crib.
Here are just a few of the times when you’ll be glad you packed your portable bed rails for travel:
1. Unfamiliar Sleep Environment
When staying in a hotel or rental apartment, the sleep environment will be new to your toddler. Your child might have trouble sleeping or move around more at night. Keep your toddler in their bed by using a toddler bed rail on each side of the bed.
2. Create a Smaller Bed
If you’ve just moved your toddler to a big kid bed, having your toddler sleep in a hotel room bed might seem huge for your toddler. You can use the inflatable bed rails under a fitted sheet to create a smaller, more familiar bed for your toddler.
3. Extra High Beds
Regardless of whether you are staying in a hotel, at grandma’s house or an Airbnb, the beds are most likely to be much higher than your toddler’s bed at home. This makes it much more dangerous for active sleepers who might fall out of bed at night.
4. Sharing a Bed
Often sharing a hotel room with a toddler means you’ll also be sharing a bed. If you buy a two-pack inflatable bed rails, then keep one bed rail between you to help keep you from getting kicked all night long!
5. Kids Sharing Beds
Kids sharing beds is a great solution, but some kids seems to be practicing gymnastics when they sleep. Using an inflatable bed rail between the kids can help keep them from waking each other up as they move around in their sleep.
Benefits of Travel Bed Rails for Toddlers
While packing inflatable bed rails for toddlers might just seems like one more thing to pack, there are some benefits of using these instead of creating makeshift bed bumpers.
Here are some of the benefits of using a portable bed rail for travel:
1. Create a Smaller Bed
These portable bed rails fit under the sheet and can be placed where you need them to create a smaller and more familiar sleeping environment for your toddler.
2. Get a Better Sleep
Using a toddler bed rail between you and your child can help you get a better sleep by keeping those little feet from kicking you all night!
3. Take up Less Room
While pillows and rolled up blankets can also work, portable toddler bed rails for travel take up less room on the bed, leaving more room for everyone.
4. Stay in Place
Again, pillows and rolled up blankets can work, but they can get easily get flattened and move around, making them less reliable and safe for your child. Inflatable bed rails have grip strips to keep them in place. The hiccapop inflatable bed rail even has a silicon-bottom safety flap extension that uses body weight to keep it in place. And because they are inflatable, the bed rails should keep their size and shape all night.
5. Keep Toddlers in the Bed
This is the most obvious reason to use a travel bed rail, but it will keep your toddler in the bed. A toddler bed rail will help everyone get a good sleep while on vacation.
Other Alternatives to Inflatable Bed Rails for Toddlers
If you aren’t interested in buying more toddler travel gear, there are other alternatives to buying portable bed rails. Some aren’t as effective, but they can work in a pinch.
Our toddler is an extremely active sleeper, so when we share a bed or have him sleep in his own bed on a family holiday, we always need to put some precautions in place. Even while sleeping in a large queen size bed on his own, he’s managed to fall out.
Here are the best options we’ve come up with:
- When we haven’t packed our toddler travel bed, some ways we’ve kept him from falling out is by putting a rolled up blanket under the fitted sheet. The biggest issue with this option is that you don’t always have enough extra blankets available when you travel. The blankets can also get flattened over time or won’t be high enough to prevent your toddler from rolling out onto the floor.
- We’ve also used pillows around him, under the fitted sheets. This can work well in hotel rooms when you may have plenty of extra pillows. The problem with this solution is the pillows can move around and they take up a lot of room when sharing a bed (either yourself or with kids sharing).
- A pool noodle under the fitted sheet can be another alternative. This solution is best saved for road trips with a toddler when you have the extra space to pack a pool noodle – it’s not so good for airplane travel, when luggage space is tight.
- When possible, we always move the bed up to a wall when we can so we have one safe side.
While not perfect, the above alternatives to bringing inflatable bed rails for toddlers on your family trip will work in a pinch!
Our Preferred Option for Toddler Travel Sleeping
While he above travel bed rails for toddlers are all excellent options for your family travel needs, my preferred option, especially when traveling internationally and being limited on what I can pack, is to travel with an inflatable toddler travel bed with built in bumpers.
This solution gave our toddler his own space to sleep, allowing our older daughter to sleep soundly in a bed (she doesn’t move much). Sometimes we still find him on the floor from moving so much, but he rarely even wakes up when this happens!
Do you have a long haul flight for your family vacation? A toddler airplane bed will make the experience so much better for everyone!
More Toddler Travel Gear
Pin It For Later!
This post was written & edited by:
Celine Brewer is the owner of Baby Can Travel. Not only does she have years of experience traveling with babies & toddlers, but she's helped millions of new parents travel with their babies and toddlers for over a decade. In addition to writing on her baby travel blog, she has shared her expertise on traveling with a baby or toddler by contributing to articles about traveling with a baby with the Washington Post, USA Today, the Lonely Planet magazine and Pregnancy & Newborn magazine.
Celine also writes about family travel on the site FamilyCanTravel.com, which she co-owns with her husband. Being from the Canadian Rockies, she shares her passion about her home and travel to Banff National Park and area on their site TravelBanffCanada.com.