I’ve owned a few different diaper bags, but the best one for travel was definitely a diaper bag backpack! Having hands free for chasing toddlers or carrying a baby is a must! You don’t have to worry about it falling off your shoulder or getting in the way. In this post, we’ll share all the best travel diaper bag backpacks! You’ll be so glad you went this route on your next family holiday!
You have enough to think about getting through the airport when flying with a baby or holding your toddlers hand walking down the busy city streets. Diaper bag backpacks offer traveling parents, like myself, hands-free access to handle anything I need to do with my baby or toddler.
Plus, carrying all your baby travel essentials is much easier to do on your back in a diaper bag backpack than a shoulder bag.
Any of these best backpack diaper bags for travel will gives us parents the comfort of having our things safely and neatly organized within arm’s reach.
This list will show you that there’s a wide range of baby backpack diaper bags to choose from when searching for your best fit. Whether it’s a fashionable backpack diaper bag, a trendy backpack diaper bag or the best diaper backpacks for dads, you’ll have plenty to choose from.
For those of you traveling with twins, you aren’t left out. An extra large backpack diaper bag is the best travel diaper bag for twins.
Table of Contents
This post contains compensated links.
Best Travel Diaper Bag Backpacks
Don’t have time to read the full post? Here is a list of our favorite backpack diaper bags for travel:
- Best baby diaper bag backpack overall: RUVALINO Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
- Best backpack diaper bag for twins: Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack
- Best diaper backpack for dads: HSD Dad Diaper Bag Backpack
- Best stylish backpack diaper bag: Freshly Picked – Convertible Diaper Bag Backpack or Petunia Pickle Bottom Tempo Backpack
1. RUVALINO Travel Backpack Diaper Bag
The RUVALINO Multifunction Travel Backpack has a spacious main compartment, along with all the other must-have features in a diaper bag. Made from lightweight durable fabric that is stronger than twill polyester, the bag is certainly built to last.
This popular unisex backpack diaper bag, with over 30k reviews, comes with several pockets for storage, and an elastic, open-top bottle holder. This is an especially helpful feature for those who do not have time to fiddle with bottle pockets.
2. Freshly Picked - Convertible Diaper Bag Backpack
Designed for moms by moms, this vegan leather backpack diaper bag effortlessly combines style and practicality. With a spacious central compartment, several pockets to organize your baby’s things, and loads of features just for mom, the Freshly Picked Diaper Bag is designed to impress.
Wear it how you like; as a backpack, a cross-body bag or even a purse. Versatile and fashionable, this trendy backpack diaper bag is a must-have if you are a fashion-forward parent on the lookout for convenience with a luxurious touch.
3. Bag Nation Unisex Diaper Bag Backpack
If durability and water-resistance are what you’re looking for, this backpack by Bag Nation is perfect for you. With 14 extra pockets, you will have no trouble organizing your things. The front pocket comes with a magnetic clip, making the bag easy to access.
This unisex backpack diaper bag comes with a changing pad as well as a sundry bag for keeping all of your extra things. Don’t forget to register for the lifetime warranty that comes included with the bag.
4. HSD Dad Diaper Bag Backpack
The HSD Dad Diaper Bag Backpack has seven exterior pockets and boasts of YKK zippers that allow you to open and close the pockets with just one hand. With a large main component, the bag is spacious enough for the belongings of not one, but two kids, making it one one of the best backpack diaper bags for twins.
Not only is this rugged bag tested based on military standards for rough use, it also does not skimp on any of the basic essentials. With features such as a baby wipes pocket, two insulated bottle pockets, a large diaper changing mat in a pocket that doubles as a laptop holder and hydration bladder, this backpack is seriously heavy-duty.
5. BabbleRoo Baby Backpack Diaper Bag
Thoughtfully designed with tear-resistant waterproof fabric, the BabbleRoo Baby Nappy Changing Bags feature padded back and shoulder straps that distribute loads evenly across parents’ backs.
With 18 pockets in all, this unisex diaper bag backpack is one of the largest diaper bags out there. It comes with a foldable changing mat and a detachable pacifier case. Affordable, practical and trendy, all at the same time, it’s no wonder why this one is a best-seller.
6. Petunia Pickle Bottom Tempo Backpack Diaper Bag
Combining style with function, this versatile backpack diaper bag by Petunia Pickle Bottom covers all the bases. It has 8 spacious pockets, insulated side pockets for bottles, adjustable backpack straps and a washable changing pad.
A top grab handle and a sleeve to attach the bag to a suitcase make it easy to travel with.
With luxurious vegan leatherette fabric and metal hardware PLUS a laptop sleeve, this Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper backpack bag could easily double as a stylish carry-on for work trips.
7. Itzy Ritzy Diaper Bag Backpack
The Itzy Ritzy Diaper Bag Backpack might not look very big but you are in for a surprise when you open it because it’s more than enough for everything you need. Two insulated pockets, and a felt-lined valuables pocket are just two of the seventeen that this bag has!
One of the best things about this bag is that it does not collapse onto itself even if it is relatively empty. This ensures that you’re always feeling chic when you’re wearing it!
With a signature rubber bottom that makes this backpack airplane friendly, and an inner compartment that can easily fit a laptop and a changing pad at the same time, it’s one of the best travel diaper bag options for those who have to work while traveling.
8. The Getaway Bag by No Reception Club
**The second edition of their Getaway Bag has been released! It has larger side water bottle pockets, longer buckle straps for additional capacity plus more changes to make it ideal for travel!**
The Getaway Bag from No Reception Club has features unique to this travel backpack for parents. The main compartment has 2 shelves that can be customized, making sure you have room for all your baby essentials.
The list of features and pockets goes on and on, including parent pockets for your own essentials and a TSA approved laptop sleeve. Plus a secret pocket for passports and valuables.
You'll also find a waterproof pocket at the bottom for those soiled clothes or anything else you don't want messing up your diaper bag.
There are two external water bottle holders and it comes with a insulated lunch bag and stroller clips.
If you purchase the travel bundle, you'll also get the convenient Sidekick hip bag and a diaper change pad.
While the price of The Getaway Bag might seem high, it really has been well thought out for traveling parents!
You can read our full review of The Getaway Bag by No Reception Club here.
9. Diaper Bag Backpack for Travel by KeaBabies
The diaper bag backpack by KeaBabies is ideal for parents who are travelling with more than one kid. With all the extra storage, this backpack is also great for parents who plan long journeys and travel with lots of luggage.
Keep your hands free all day long with this backpack that helps you organize all your things with precision. The bag has zippers that are easy to use and open, a compartment dedicated to diapers, insulated pockets to keep your baby’s food toasty, a cushioned back for support, and comes with a diaper changing mat included. The best part? It’s waterproof!
10. Upsimples Backpack Baby Diaper Bag
When travelling, you know that one of the biggest hassles is a phone that’s out of charge. Well, with the Upsimples backpack diaper bag, that will hardly ever be a problem again! This affordable backpack by Upsimples comes with a USB charging port, in addition to plenty of space and even a side pocket for keeping baby wipes accessible with just one hand.
An innovative feature worth mentioning is that it is designed to be opened from both the top and bottom, allowing you to reach your baby’s things in a pinch. With insulated pockets and compartments that are adequately lined, it’ll be no time before this bag becomes your favorite travel companion (apart from baby, of course)!
11. HaloVa Travel Baby Backpack Diaper Bag
The sleek, modern design of the HaloVa Diaper Bag will leave people surprised that it’s actually carrying diapers and baby supplies!
The unique open design of the bag makes it feel like you’re arranging things in a sturdy box. It’s wide front pocket, insulated bottle holders, and separate wet cloth pocket make the bag even easier to keep organized. The fabric is comfortable and machine washable, making upkeep a breeze.
This designer backpack diaper bag has a zipper at the back, allowing you easy access to the main compartment without having to open the bag from the top. When worn, the bag holds its shape without wrinkling or collapsing, making it a fashionable accessory all on its own.
12. BAMOMBY Travel Backpack Diaper Bag
With plenty of room, insulated bottle pockets and sturdy zippers that do not get stuck, the Bamomby Multifunction Baby Diaper Bag is affordable, practical and most importantly, durable! The unisex bag has a quilted design that gives it an aesthetic appeal that suits most travelling moms and dads.
The backpack has a changing pad, and its multifunctional approach is definitely an added advantage. The wide and padded straps will provide you with plenty of comfort no matter what you lug around. There is also an anti-theft pouch included within the bag where you can keep your valuables safely.
13. Vogshow Waterproof Diaper Bag Backpack
This convertible backpack diaper bag can be used as a backpack, handbag or shoulder bag, depending upon your travel needs.
The Vogshow Waterproof diaper bag is equipped with insulated pockets, anti-theft back pockets, and a main compartment that can double as a laptop pouch. Instead of cumbersome zippers, this bag comes with magnetic snaps. It’s size and practical design makes it ideal diaper backpack for twins.
14. Mancro Large Backpack Diaper Bag
This ultra-roomy, multifunctional backpack diaper bag is structured to hold its shape and comes with several pockets, including a few extra tall ones with insulation for storing bottles. The roomy inner compartment can be used for storing your laptop and changing mat.
The best part is that the main zipper opens all the way till the bottom unlike most other diaper bags out there. This makes finding things when in a rush so much easier.
15. Mancro Unisex Diaper Bag Backpack
This nondescript, no-fuss diaper bag backpack makes the ideal companion for the mom or dad who doesn’t want to draw too much attention to themselves while out and about with their little one.
Big enough to accommodate the belongings of two babies, making it a good backpack diaper bag for parents traveling with twins, this black backpack features sturdy shoulder and stroller straps, a larger than usual changing pad, insulated pockets and a baby wipes pocket in the front.
16. Columbia Summit Rush Backpack Diaper Bag
This spacious Columbia backpack diaper bag comes with several pockets and an insulated thermal bottle pocket that can easily hold two bottles.
Other features the Columbia Summit Rush Backpack includes are a large main compartment, a padded change mat, and super comfy backpack straps with stroller attachment clips.
The backpack uses Ultra Safe Leak Proof Lining, Microban Protection, and Therma-Flect Radiant Barrier technologies to stay protected from messes, bacteria and external heat. Whether you’re planning a long or short trip, this bag will be able to fit your needs.
17. Itzy Ritzy Mini Diaper Bag Backpack
Available in multiple colors and styles, the Itzy Ritzy Mini Diaper Bag
Backpack is exactly the chic addition to your baby-care collection you’ve been
While this is a small backpack diaper bag, its compact design with
features like four interior pockets, a vegan leather changing pad, and
signature rubber feet to keep it upright and clean, make this a stylish option
for a quick outing.
18. Columbia Carson Pass Backpack Diaper Bag
You could never guess just by looking at it that this sporty unisex bag is in fact a diaper bag. The Columbia Carson Pass backpack diaper bag features an ample amount of inner space to hold your little one’s essentials. It sports a thermal bottle pocket, a portable change mat, a padded laptop compartment and multiple accessory pockets on the outside.
Many surfaces in the backpack, like the changing mat and the floor of the backpack are made of Ultra Safe Wipe Clean material, making it easy to keep clean. Thick zippers make it convenient to open using just one hand, which is a big plus when you’re holding a squirming kid in the other!
Padded shoulder straps ensure that it is comfortable to carry and the clips allow you to attach it to your stroller. The bag is also compact enough to fit under an airplane seat, making it the perfect sturdy, yet practical backpack diaper bag.
How to Choose the Best Backpack Diaper Bag for Travel
It’s important for parents to choose a backpack diaper bag that is tailored to their and their babies’ needs, but with so many options, how do you do that?
Well it all comes down to how you plan to use it, which depends on things like the number of babies you’re traveling with, the nature of your travels, and the age of your baby or toddler.
As a general rule of thumb, check to see if your backpack travel diaper bag is lightweight, water-resistant, and durable, at the very least. Stylish designs are a bonus if you’re planning to use it as a regular bag after your baby grows out of it.
Why a Backpack Style Diaper Bag is the Best Diaper Bag for Travel
In short, a backpack diaper bag is perfect not just for your baby’s needs but for your needs as well, and here’s why:
- Portable: Most would agree that our backs are better suited to carrying heavy loads than our arms are. Especially when carrying things for two babies, you will need a bag that’s easier to carry than the conventional single-strap diaper bag. Plus, with your arms freed up, you get to carry your little bundle of joy with more ease.
- Spacious: Backpack style diaper bags have multiple storage compartments and plenty of pockets. This makes organizing your toddler travel essentials a lot easier than an ordinary backpack or diaper bag.
- Multifunctional: Most of these bags can be used in a variety of situations. Whether it’s a typical outing to the local grocery store, a full-blown vacation, or a quick run to the workplace (even without baby), these bags will have you covered. Efficient design means most of these backpack bags can easily be converted into handbags as well.
- Perfect for your needs: Backpack style diaper bags come with a variety of facilities like changing pads, insulated pockets for food and drink, and even USB ports for busy parents on the go. All this innovation in compact, back-friendly, ergonomic designs? Yes, please.
- Durability: Backpack diaper bags are made of durable materials that are very easy to clean. Some of the diaper bags featured on this list are made of vegan leather and are therefore environment friendly as well!
- Unisex: Most backpack diaper bags come with a unisex design, so they can pretty much be worn by anybody, anywhere!
Using Backpacks as Diaper Bags
Unlike ordinary backpacks, backpack diaper bags come with features that are specifically customized for parents’ needs. These include insulated pockets, baby wipes pockets, separate pacifier bags, and changing pads.
Good luck trying to find these in an ordinary backpack!
Most of them don’t have the smart compartmentalization required to contain all these baby essentials in an easily accessible way, either.
Furthermore, ordinary backpacks often do not come with smart zippers. Parents know the agony of trying to open a bag with just one hand while dealing with a squirmy baby in the other hand! Flimsy zippers are simply a no-go during times like those.
Backpack diaper bags are built to withstand overstuffing as well, which makes them a blessing when packing for a baby – because we all know, it’s just never enough!
You can count on backpack diaper bags and their strong zippers to just handle things for you.
What to Pack in Your Baby Backpack Diaper Bag for Travel
Here are some items you can pack in your baby backpack diaper bag for travel to make your adventures with your baby easy and hassle-free:
- Wipes: As any parent knows, plenty of wipes is an absolute must. Don’t forget to pack your baby wipe travel case in the dedicated wipes pocket that comes included with some baby backpack diaper bags.
- Wet Bags: These are great for tucking away soiled diapers and baby clothing. Buy extra wet bags to store your bottles and pacifiers hygienically.
- Diapers: Considering that an average baby needs a diaper change every two hours, it’s a good idea to carry plenty of these.
- Ointments: Make sure to take travel-friendly tube-based creams to avoid messes.
- Pacifiers: Pack your pacifier hygienically, and don’t forget to pack extra bottle nipples.
- Changing pad: Many diaper bag backpacks come with a changing pad, but if not you’ll want to pick up one of these best diaper change mats to have with you!
- Hat, umbrella and blanket: Weather is so unpredictable, especially during travel, which is why it’s best to stay prepared. Carrying a hat, umbrella, and blanket will help you shield your baby from the sun and the rain.
- Washcloths: You can never have too many of these.
- Food: If your baby is eating solid foods, you’ll need to manage baby food while traveling. Whether it be pumped breast milk, formula, or solid food, pack enough to last the entire time you’re out (don’t forget a baby bottle warmer and a compact travel bottle drying rack).
We all know how much toddlers love to snack, so you’ll also want to pack a toddler spill proof snack cup.
- Sunscreen: If your baby is six months or older, keep sunscreen in your backpack diaper bag to keep your baby safe in the sun.
- Extra clothes: Poop, spit, pee, and food, are only some of the things that soil babies’ clothes. Having extra clothes in your backpack can save you a lot of time and avoid unpleasant situations. It’s also a good idea to carry an extra pair of clothes for yourself, if you can fit them in.
- Toys: Baby travel toys are an essential to entertain your baby when they start fussing. You can also pack some of these screen-free toddler toys to keep your toddler entertained anywhere.
- A first-aid kit: In case of an emergency, it never hurts to have a first-aid kit easily accessible.
- Travel size baby products: If you are using your diaper bag as your carry-on, it never hurts to pack some travel size baby toiletries so you have them on arrival!
- Your own things: Your wallet, keys, cards and other adult things should all find a place in your diaper bag backpack. You don’t want to be carrying around multiple bags after all, do you?
Don’t miss our Diaper Bag Backpacks story for a quick summary of this post!
Pin It For Later!
This post was written & edited by:
Celine is the owner of Baby Can Travel. Not only does she have years of experience traveling with babies & toddlers, but she's been helping new parents travel with their babies and toddlers for over a decade.
Celine also writes about family travel on the site FamilyCanTravel.com, which she co-owns with her husband. Being from the Canadian Rockies, she shares her passion about her home and travel to Banff National Park and area on their site TravelBanffCanada.com.