We purchased all of the gear below with our own money, with the exception of the KidCo PeaPod Plus & CoziGo which were provided to us for the purpose of a review. All opinions are our own.
This post contains affiliate links. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to UNICEF.
Over the past few years, we have taken our babies on 25 flights to 6 countries and 3 continents. Over time we have learned what baby gear is essential and what is not. Here are the eight things we simply cannot live without:
1. Aden & Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets – Love, love, love Aden & Anais swaddle blankets!! We love how big and light they are. They are perfect for using over a stroller for shade, wrapping baby in or even to put on the floor for baby to lie on. They are one of those wonderful multi-tasking items! We love them so much, we even wrote an entire blog post on how useful they are for travel! The best part is that you’ll keep using these even when you are travelling with a toddler! They are worth every penny!
Find all our suggestions for entertaining a baby on the plane here.
2. Baby K’tan Wrap – We absolutely love the Baby K’Tan Wrap and would recommend it to anyone. The wonderful things about this wrap are how easy it is to use and how many different ways you can wear your baby in it. We used ours until the kids were about 9 months old, and we have certainly got our money’s worth! The one downside is that you order it depending on your size. Unfortunately, that means that it doesn’t work for both my husband and I.
See all the Best Baby Carriers for Travel here
3. Ergo Baby Carrier – The Ergo Bay Carrier is size adjustable, which means either my husband or I can carry the baby. This makes it our go-to carrier for the days we are sight-seeing. The Ergo enables you to carry your baby on your front, back or hip which gives you plenty of ways to keep your baby (and your back) happy!
4. MyLittleSeat Travel High Chair – This is a must-have when travelling to countries where restaurants don’t typically have high chairs! We love it as the 5-point harness allows it to attach to the back of most chairs and feels quite safe. As a bonus, it packs down really small which makes it easy to bring with you on your daily outings.
5. KidCo Peapod Plus Infant Travel Bed – A friend recommended this product to us and was kind enough to lend it to us for our trip to Japan. The KidCo Peapod Plus is a lightweight, sturdy travel bed which collapses to fit in a typical suitcase. What’s not to love?!? It’s way better than lugging a Pack n’ Play with you or relying on a hotel to provide a crib of unknown quality or safety standards. Our little guy slept great while using it and it allowed us to sleep easy knowing he was safe and well contained.
Want more info? Read our full PeaPod Plus Review
6. HALO Swaddle SleepSack – Having your baby sleep well is very important to the quality of your trip. Experts recommend trying to replicate your baby’s at home sleep situation & routine while on the road. We bring the HALO Swaddle SleepSack on our travels as it is a major component of our baby’s sleep routine. We have found it helps our baby get a good night’s sleep while on the road. We used the Swaddle SleepSack until about 6 months then switched to the HALO SleepSack without the swaddle.
Also read: Getting Baby to Sleep on Vacation
7. Baby Monitor 3G App – We love the Baby Monitor 3G app for when we stay somewhere where the baby is in a separate room (family, friends or an apartment rental). The great thing about this app is it lets you leave your bulky baby monitor equipment at home. Note that you need to have two Apple devices (i.e. one with baby and one with you) and Wi-Fi for it to work. Over 1,000,000 parents now use this app.
8.CoziGo Bassinet & Stroller Cover – This innovative product works as both a cover for airline bassinets and a sun shade for strollers. Getting your baby to sleep on-the-go will be so much easier by blocking out light and distractions! This is the number 1 product we wish we had while traveling with our kids when they were babies!